7.25.2010

soup of the day

I was out of town for work this weekend in Our Nation’s Capitol, which was a pleasant 97 to 102 degrees the entire time, coupled with crippling humidity. At one point, my job entailed doing some damage control that left me standing outside for two hours in direct sun, which instantly swathed my entire body in sweat. I attempted to sit, but heard my dress rip the moment my sweaty body tried to move. Naturally, I was sans underwear and fervently praying that the rip didn't include both lining and dress. Ughhhhhh.

D: Oh my lord, L. Ughhh. The dress-ripping incident made me poke my fat after work. NOT GOOD. It is time for watermelon and grapes and gazpacho. And serious yoga.

A Lady: Watermelon and grapes are about all that sound appealing in this heat. Yoga...not so much. But mad props.

D: I shall rest up and hit Sunday with newfound vigor! and plates of fruit! and... many batches of blender gazpacho!

A Lady:

D: Ooh, maybe watermelon gazpacho.

A Lady: Better. I have never ever liked gazpacho. Too watery.

D: Really? Oh man, I can practically drink a gallon of it. I don't put bread or water in mine, though, just vegetables and vinegar.

A Lady: Tomato juice yes, gazpacho, no.

D: Hmmmm. You have specific tastes.

A Lady: Very. But we knew this.


True to my word, I spent a bunch of quality time with my blender today, in the hopes that I will stop ripping dresses each time I move.

Pour vous: watermelon gazpacho!

Ingredients

about 1/3 of an overripe watermelon that has been sitting in my fridge for, um, about two weeks now

two tomatillos

a bunch of green grapes

a huge seedless cucumber, peeled and cut into chunks

a yellow bell pepper, seeded

an orange bell pepper, seeded

the juice of a lime or two

some yellow tomatoes

olive oil

salt

apple cider vinegar


Wash the grapes and vegetables, and remove their stems and leaves. Put the green stuff in the blender.

Blend. Pour out and set aside.

Put the pink stuff in the blender.

Blend. Pour out and set aside.

Put the yellow and orange stuff in the blender.

Splash in whatever apple cider vinegar is left in one's cupboard, along with a few really generous glugs of olive oil. Add about a half-teaspoon of salt.

Blend. Pour this over the pink stuff and the orange stuff and mix, then use a colander and strain out most of the solids. (This is why I don't bother to peel the tomatoes or the peppers, or to seed the watermelon. Inertia is your friend! That's why you're cooking with only a blender, after all.)

Mmm, watermelon gazpacho.

No comments:

Post a Comment